Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Third day Homework

My answer :


Exercise 33.1 Look at A and fill the gaps in this article about collocations.


1. Collocations in English fall into a number of different categories.
2. I should like to draw a distinction between 'ordinary' collocations and ........
3. I shall also to some extent take idioms into consideration too.
4. I plan to raise a number of questions about......
5. I shall attempt to answer these questions by making reference to the work..........
6. My intention is to make a strong case for more intensive focus............
7. I shall also touch on issues such as pronunciation.

Exercise 33.2 Look at B and C and complete these collocations.


1. Assess the significance of a factor
2. Argue something very convincingly
3. Draws an analogy
4. Lend support to an argument
5. Put forward an argument
6. Hold firmly to a belief
7. Draws attention to a new trend
8. Lays emphasis on one factor
9. Disagree profoundly with someone
10. Draws a conclusion

Exercise 33.3 Choose the correct collocation.


1. This paper presents the case for the complete revision of the theory.
2. Recent research suggests that Jackson's theory of economic development is flawed.
3. The author of the book adopts an unusual position on the topic.
4. The writer of the article states his opinion very clearly.
5. The article concludes by briefly summarising the main points that the author wishes to put across.
6. The writer draws some interesting parallels between life now and life in the Middle Ages.
7. I hold firmly to my belief in the importance of basic human rights.
8. The book raises some key questions but fails to deal with them in a satisfactory manner.


Cheers,

2 comments: